Save the Children is an international NGO and the world’s top independent charity for children in need. Since 1919, we have been fighting for children’s rights, saving their lives and providing hope for brighter futures worldwide. In Indonesia, Save the Children currently works in eleven provinces, has staff of approximately 190 local professionals, and programming in Child Protection, Education, Health and Nutrition, Disaster Risk Reduction, and Humanitarian Response. Save the Children in Indonesia is seeking to fill the following position:
Project Officer – CERIA
1 position, based in Malaka
The Project Officer for CERIA will support Senior Project Officer in implementing all activities of the CERIA project in Malaka District, Nusa Tenggara Timur (NTT) province. This will include ensuring all program activities are implemented according to plan and at a high-level of quality; all reporting and planning is completed; all communications are completed in a timely and accurate manner; coordination with key external stakeholders; all child safeguarding controls are enforced; and financial and administrative management adheres to Save the Children and donor policies, regulations, and good practices.
Reports to: Senior Project Officer (SPO)
Children in Early Grade Reach Incredible Achievements (CERIA) Project builds on the achievements and lessons learned from previous SPECIAL project in the Maluku, Aceh, and Nusa Tenggara Timur (NTT) provinces to further contribute to improving the quality of education for thousands Indonesia’s most vulnerable children. CERIA will work with children ages 4-9 by improving access to Early Childhood Education (ECE) and primary school protective and well-equipped learning environments. It will compliment improved access by also improving the quality of instruction among educators (teachers, tutors, and principals) and enhancing community awareness of, commitment to, and participation in education. It will also influence local education policy in the new Malaka district in NTT province, and incorporates a specific methodology for scale-up and promotion in non-targeted areas..
Staff directly reporting to this post: Project Assistant
Budget Responsibilities: N/A
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Oversight and Management of Program Implementation and Quality
- Work closely with teachers/tutors, principals, school committees, and other stakeholders to implement project activities according to the established project workplan.
- Train and mentor education stakeholders on improving the quality of education in communities.
- Undertake Advocacy –in coordination with line manager--, with stakeholders in the target areas to ensure the adoption of Save the Children approaches to quality basic education for marginalised children.
- Facilitate activities to increase access to ECE including physical improvements in infrastructure and educational materials.
- Work closely with communities to ensure their active participation and acceptance of the project.
- Develop, maintain and improve close-relationships with local officials and partners to ensure constructive working relationships that would contribute to the learning and sustainability of the programme.
- Participate in project monitoring and evaluation including contributing information for the elaboration of accurate and timely reports.
- Participate in relevant meetings with local authorities and other stakeholders on topics related to the implementation of the project.
- Develop excellent communication and cooperation within the team and between the different education projects in Malaka, NTT.
- Represent the organization on the absent of SPO
- Conducted other related duties as assigned
2. Financial and Administrative Management
- Coordinate with the Finance unit in Belu Sub Office to produce accurate and timely financial reports
- Oversee appropriate logistics management including procurement, fleet management, and provision of goods and materials to communities
- Ensure adequate security controls are in place in accordance to the Malaka and Belu District security plan
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCES
- Recommended a minimum of 3 years experience in a project with contractor, corporate, or NGO environment, including significant field implementation experience
- Previous successful experience in development projects, preferably education projects in rural areas
- Previous experience working with local governments
- Good knowledge and ability to work to mobilize communities
- Good knowledge of development issues
- Good understanding of children’s issues in Indonesian context
- Good understanding of the Indonesia education systems
- Good communications skills including experience in training and mentoring
- Knowledge of the local context and understand local language is a plus
- Excellent organizational skills including report writing
- Financial management experience or knowledge
- Ability to work with children
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good negotiation and advocacy skills
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Ability to work with children
- Computer literate
- Able to drive a motorcycle
- Fluency in written and spoken Indonesian, strong English written and spoken skills
- Ability and willingness to travel outside Malaka District or NTT Province
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches.
- Knowledge and skills in methods to promote improvements in early grade primary education on literacy skills
- Proven skills to develop an implementation plan and then efficiently implement activities
- Demonstrated ability to write high quality reports and other project documents in Indonesian and English
- Proven ability to manage financial resources according to donor and organization regulations and reporting requirements.
Updated CV and application letter should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please fill the “subject” column of the e-mails in this format:
Closing date for application is up to 19 December 2014
(Only short-listed candidates will be notified)