Term of Reference
Program Officer Oil Palm
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 39 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
SNV works in partnership with Government and industry across three main sectors in Indonesia, water and sanitation, renewable energy and agriculture as well as the crosscutting issue of climate change. This position will be part of our Commodities and Climate Change team.
The programme officer for Oil Palm will provide support during the contract period are on diverting expansion from forest areas.
Better Management Practice Training
The debate concerning sustainability of oil palm production is ongoing, as problems with deforestation, loss of biodiversity and social issues are still associated with oil palm cultivation and expansion. Improving yields is a key aspect of sustainability, as higher yields per hectare improve land use efficiency and decrease the need for expansion into pristine natural areas to meet demands. However, in the last years oil palm yields have stagnated or declined, in the face of an increasing demand of oil palm for food and biofuel. Smallholder farmers often achieve yields of only 10-15 t/ha, roughly half the 20-25 t/ha achieved by large plantations.
To address the need for such guidance, a consortium of Wageningen University, and SNV have developed a stepwise guidance for smallholders on BMP in the oil palm sector. This guidance was developed based on existing material and tested in three case studies, one in West Kalimantan, one in East Kalimantan, and one in Jambi. In this position there will be opportunities to further develop the materials and overall programme, like including additional topics such as institutional development and environmental impacts, RSPO/ISPO certification etc.
- Supporting the implementation of SNV’s Better Management Practices training programme
- Support strategy development for oil palm and integration with other work
- Training of trainers on Better Management Practices Module
- Prepare offerings for clients and streamline with SNV’s inclusive business tools
- Coordinate development of additional modules on institutional development and environmental impact
- Review and refine existing materials
- Business development
- Bachelor in Agronomy, Biology or related field. Master degree in related field will be an advantage
- Knowledge of palm oil agronomy
- Experience working on yield improvement in oil palm
- Experience in training trainers
- Understanding of P&C of RSPO, ISPO, ISCC.
- Knowledge of principles in High Conservation Value approach
- Good communication skill
- Proficient in English and Indonesian
Desired start date: January/ February 2015
Duty station: Jakarta.
Contract duration: 1 year contract with the possibility of extension.
How to apply?
Please send your application letter describing how you meet the candidate profile and CV, together with an indication of your current salary and compensation package with “Program Officer Oil Palm” in the title to firstname.lastname@example.org by 09 January 2015.
For more information on SNV please refer to our website: www.snvworld.org