Environmental Sustainability Coordinator – Jakarta, Indonesia
Effective with the release of this position announcement, Winrock International will be recruiting applicants for the position of Environmental Sustainability Coordinator with the Ecosystem Services team for the USAID/Indonesia LESTARI Program. Winrock is partner in a consortium bidding for this opportunity. Position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
The salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits.
Applicants should go to www.winrock.org to the Jobs link and submit a current resume and cover letter referencing “Environmental Sustainability Coordinator – Indonesia” by November 19, 2014.
Winrock would like to graciously thank all applicants for their interest but only candidates who meet all requisite criteria and are short listed will be contacted.
Position Title: Sustainable Development Coordinator
DepartmenT: Ecosystem Services
Reports to: Senior Program Officer
Winrock is seeking Environmental Sustainability Coordinator candidates for the USAID/Indonesia LESTARI program. The candidate will be responsible for leading and implementing Winrock’s component of a larger USAID funded program in Indonesia. The Coordinator should have a scientific background and experience related to land use management, green-house gas (GHG) emissions from the agriculture, forest and other land use change (AFOLU) sector, understanding of spatial analysis programs (e.g. ArcGIS), and a proven record of understanding, effectively communicating, and managing these ideas to a diverse audience. The Coordinator should also have familiarity with developments in Indonesia surrounding land use planning, low emission development, GHG emission reduction commitments, and various sustainability commitments and certifications. Ideally this would include experience working with the oil palm and pulp and paper planation sectors. The Coordinator will be working in close collaboration with Winrock’s Ecosystem Services GIS, Remote Sensing, and GHG Emission Experts to develop a series of tools to assist various types of users to examine the potential consequences of various land use management decisions. The tools will leverage spatially explicit data and will include the economic, greenhouse gas, climate change adaptation, biodiversity and other ecosystem services impacts of various potential decisions, depending on the needs and focus of the users. Analyses will also be developed to assist users to demonstrate the impacts of historical land use, including demonstrating potential deforestation and degradation, greenhouse gas, or other impacts of activities. The Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating activities with Winrock experts, consultants, and the overall project staff in the development of these capacity development tools. In addition, together with overall project staff, the Coordinator would conduct detailed consultations and capacity development trainings with various potential tool users, including both government and private sector actors.
- Lead and coordinate work being conducted by Winrock under project which will focus on low emission development and sustainability assessment capacity building efforts
§ Assist in the development of approaches to assess land use impacts
o Assist Winrock’s technical team to develop methodological and analysis approaches to examine impacts of land use management on various environmental and economic values
o Together with Winrock’s technical team, develop and conduct spatial and nonspatial analyses
§ Develop a capacity building materials and conduct trainings to trainers-of-trainers, government staff, and the private sector.
§ Together with overall project staff, conduct consultations with government and private sector to ensure materials developed meet their needs
§ Coordinate and direct technical consultants conducted targeted aspects of the project activities
§ Coordinate and communicate on a regular basis with Winrock’s Home Office.
o Establish contacts with partners and clients to ensure coordinated implementation of project activities and represent the Winrock Team at key meetings.
o Work closely with Winrock’s USA-based technical team
Qualifications AND BACKGROUND:
Education: Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred, in environmental science, geography, ecology, forestry, natural resource management, land use planning, conservation, sustainable development, or other relevant fields.
Experience: 3+ years of work experience in fields related to land use management, greenhouse gas emission estimation, and/or sustainability assessment.
Experience in the use of spatial tools (Arc GIS) and database development required
Demonstrated ability to work with public and/or private sector is required.
Team and administrative support experience required.
- Oral and written fluency in Bahasa Indonesia and English required
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Demonstrated strong analytical capability and excellent interpersonal skills are required including the ability to interact effectively with others taking into account cultural sensitivities.
- Ability to successfully work with government agencies, civil society, and/or private sector
- Experience in capacity development and training
- Excellent organization and management skills essential, including ability to coordinate a variety of tasks, meet deadlines and work effectively under pressure.
- Strong communication skills, both interpersonal and written.
- Ability to work and train using ESRI software
- Experience with web mapping tools desired
- Familiarity in programming in related languages desired. Knowledge of Python scripting preferred, but not required
- Personal computer applications including Microsoft Word, Excel spreadsheets, email, presentation, and database software
- Host-country nationals are encouraged to apply
- Must be willing and able to travel within Indonesia