Term of Reference
Consultant Required : Finance & Compliance Assistant
Contract Duration : 12 months
Number of Consultant : 1
Date : April 1st, 2016
Location : Bogor, West Java, Indonesia
Rare is a U.S.-based conservation organization, working globally to equip people in the world’s most threatened natural areas with the tools and motivation they need to care for their natural resources. For the last 30 years, at more than 200 sites and in more than 50 nations, Rare has addressed the underlying social and economic factors that create environmental threats. Rare’s approach has been to develop marketing and business development tools that motivate local communities to protect their natural surroundings. Rare’s conservation toolkit has been embraced by many large environmental organizations, including The Nature Conservancy, Conservation International, Wildlife Conservation Society, and the National Audubon Society.
Rare’s signature Pride campaign builds grassroots support for environmental protection by training local conservation leaders in the use of commercial marketing tactics to build awareness, influence attitudes, and enable meaningful change. Rare has more than twenty years of experience in building local Pride for biodiversity conservation and has trained over 200 locally-based conservationists.
Since 2010 the focus for Rare’s work in Indonesia has been to support marine protected area (MPA) partners to successfully gain compliance with no-take zones (NTZs) within the sites. This work has been undertaken in 20 MPAs across Indonesia to date and is already showing considerable success, with up to 70% reductions in fisher activities observed in NTZs, with up to 109% increases in resultant fish biomass observed within zones.
Now Rare has developed a partnership with the University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB) and the Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) to launch our first ever global initiative – Fish Forever. This initiative aim to build on our existing work to support sites to not only implement effective NTZs, but also support the implementation of wider fisheries management systems in areas surrounding the NTZs. Efforts will be heavily focused on engaging local community members in the management of the areas, and enabling privileged access and / or management systems that will utilizable areas to promote maximal benefit to both the livelihoods of local communities and the conservation of biodiversity.
The Finance & Compliance Assistant is responsible for managing filing financial documentation, cash flow, as well as maintaining Finance, Logistics, and Administration Team for audit compliance. The Finance & Compliance Assistant also submits monthly finance reporting to Regional Operation Manager & VP. The Finance & Compliance Assistant will serve as a focal point among the team to ensure that Rare and donor procedures and standards are met and that project audit documentation is updated on a monthly basis.
The main roles and responsibilities of Finance & Compliance Assistant is:
Responds to general and routine queries from Rare Staff concerning any problems/issues:
- Assumes the responsibilities for Rare finance Jakarta and contributes to global finance management;
- Provides the Regional Operation Manager with information and projections regarding Bogor Office finance situation and needs;
- Supports follow-up of Rare’s and donor financial and audit procedures;
- Performs a strict control of the documents received from staff as expense reporting &, partners as sub grant reporting;
- Supports an efficient flow of finance information between operation team & staff;
- Demonstrates a perfect ethic in regards to financial duties and responsibilities.
- Produces a monthly compliance report, including feedback to staff & partner and follow-up to resolve missing or incorrect documents;
- Verifies that procedures in place are aligned with regulations in Rare Finance and Procurement SoPs;
- Performs audits of departments upon request;
- Actively participates in the preparation process of internal / external audits by headquarters or donors;
- Ensures that Rare Bogor vouchers are complete, signed by the appropriate persons, and produced strictly according to Rare procedures;
- Enters all transactions in accounting software daily;
- Cash checking at month end and bank reconciliation;
- Re-checks standard description, accountancy code Project code and Donor code allocation at month end;
- Maintains a strict follow up of advances, currency exchanges, transfers, etc.;
- Performs any control deemed necessary to ensure transparency of payments (market surveys, and cash counting, etc.);
- Provides training and capacity-building as necessary to staff & partners;
- May manage Cashier in charge of the petty cash account(s) or may assume petty cash management role;
- Produces a monthly/bi-monthly cash request for the Bogor Office;
- Bachelor Degree in Economic or equivalent experience in a similar position with an NGO or INGO or private companies,
- Accounting skill is mandatory & tax skill,
- Strong analytical and interpretative problem solving skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills. English and Bahasa-Indonesia.
Please send applications indicating ‘Finance & Compliance Assistant ' as the subject of your email addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com not later than March 11, 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.