Position : Information and Communication Officer
Duration : 2 (two) years
Supervisor : Media and Communication Manager
United Cities and Local Governments Asia Pacific (UCLG ASPAC) is one of thenine Regional Sections of the United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) which is based in Jakarta, Indonesia. UCLG is the largest association of local governments in the world and the officially recognized voice of local goverbment by the United Nations. The Asia and Pacific region is the biggest of the nine sections in UCLG with linkages to more than 7.000 local governments. It represents well over 3.76 billiion people-more than half of the world population-and incorporates economically fast developing countries such as China, India and Indonesia.
UCLG ASPAC is the key knowledge management hub on local government issues in the Asia-Pacific region. It promotes democratic local government, support cooperation between cities, local governments and their associations, and facilities programmes, network and partnerships to develop the capacity of local governments and the associations. Moreover, UCLG ASPAC represents local governments politically within the International community, and with the United Nations and its agencies. It also promotes inclusice societies which safeguard equality, social and economic justice, and sustainable community development. UCLG ASPAC is engaged in all relevant thematic fields for nurturing sustainable development comprising poverty alleviation, climate change, disaster resiliency, culture, strategic planning, decentralization, local finance, and good governance.
The Information and Communication Officer will be hired for 2 (two) years period with possible of extension to support the Media & Communication Manager in managing the division.
Objective and goal:
- To provide assistance in design and developing website development plan
- To provide support for the content of the website and any other matters related with the website
- To provide support for the development and implementation of the short-long terms communication strategies
- To provide assistance for the design and content of the publication
- To provide support in conducting fund raising activities for expanding the media and publication activities
- To be responsible in promoting UCLG ASPAC
Scope of Work/Key Duties
Under this Scope of Work, the Information and Communication Officerwill carry out the following key activities:
- Produce promotional and public relations materials such as newsletter and brochure
- Assist in the development, drafting, and final editing of annual reports
- Generate monthly highlights and quarterly newsletters
- Develop and maintain digital photo library
- Develop and maintain the database and information on members, partners and donor agencies
- Maintain and further develop UCLG ASPAC website
- Provide assistance in promoting and publicizing activities and actions undertaken by UCLG ASPAC
- Assisting in reviewing and editing proposals and reports to Donor Agencies
- Assist in the development of programs and mechanisms targeted at informing and strengthening capacity in information management
- Provide timely reports and feedback on deliverables as required by UCLG ASPAC Communication Strategy and Branding Implementation
- Regularly disseminate relevant information to members and partners.
- Ensure visibility of programs, projects, and activities in all uploaded/published documents.
- Be responsible for special publications e.g. compilation of regional seminars, trainings, other events.
- Responsible for the minutes of meeting of UCLG ASPAC’s event
- Assist on any UCLG ASPAC’s event in preparing press conference and distribute press release
- Maintaining media database, and developing pieces for circulation and conducting interviews and reports.
- Provide assistance in planning and proceeding with funds raising activities
- Responsible in identifying potential sponsorship
- Responsible for the procurement process of its publication
- Prepare reports related to communication to UCLG ASPAC Executive Bureau, Council, and General Assembly Meetings and to UCLG World (headquarters) as required.
- Perform other duties as required from time-to-time as assigned by the Media and Communication Manager
Special Requirements of the Assignment
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, and/or related fields.
- At least 5 (five) years of professional experience in public relations and/or journalistic work and working in a similar position in an NGP and/or International Organization. Experience in the area of web platform development/management is desirable
- Proficiency in designing and developing public relations/media tools.
- Excellent communication and writing skills (Indonesia and English).
- Highly developed communication skills, including ability to draft/edit texts and to articulate ideas in clear, concise style to a variety of audiences, as well as facilitation skills
- Shows persistence and ability to identify strategic issues, opportunities and risks, and communication broad
- Intermediate to advanced MS office skills in all basic Microsoft word programs and publication software.
- Basic IT knowledge is preferable.
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines required.
- Experience in working in an international environment, respecting different cultures and nationalities.
- Positive work ethic with a willingness to learn
- Media relations skills
- Considerable domestic and international travel may be required
- Producing publication
- Branding promotion
- An updated database of contact information of media outlets and potential sponsorship
- High quality of its design and publication
- Branding manual
- Database of media and companies
The post will be supervised by the Media and Communication Manager
“Interested applicants may send their CV and Cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and write the title of the role on the subject line before 23 October 2015”.
ONLY SELECTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED