Swisscontact promotes economic, social and ecological development by supporting people to successfully integrate into local commercial life. Swisscontact creates opportunities for people to improve their living conditions as a result of their own efforts. The focus of its systemic intervention in the private sector is the strengthening of local and global value chains. Through its projects, Swisscontact works to enable access to professional training, promotes local entrepreneurship, creates access to local financial service providers and supports the efficient use of resources with the goal of successfully promoting employment and income generation. Based in Zurich, Swisscontact is now active in 27 countries and has some 800 employees.
The Sustainable Cocoa Production Program (SCPP) is a large Public Private Partnership (“PPP”) in Indonesia which was established in January 2012. The Project is financed by the Swiss Secretariat for Economic Affairs SECO, The Sustainable Trade Initiative IDH, the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, the International Fund for Agriculture Development IFAD, and six Private Sector Companies from the cocoa sector for the duration from 2012 – 2015. The Program works directly with 60,000 cocoa farming households in six Indonesian Provinces to improve farm productivity and livelihood conditions.
For our Swisscontact SCPP-Program in Indonesia, we are looking for :
Research and Content Expert for Environment
Begin of Employment : April 2015 or as agreed
Place of Duty : 1 Person, Jakarta/ regional office in Makassar, Indonesia.
The Research and Content Expert for Environment is responsible to undertake necessary research to provide the cocoa sustainability program with advices on environmental issues pertaining to the emission of GHG and carbon stock in the cocoa supply chain. He/She will also be responsible for conducting environmental impact assessments, environmental audits and development of training materials for GEP (Good Environment Practice) and human resource capacity within the program
A. Technical Advisory:
- Contribute to the Landscape and Lifescape Strategy as part of Social and Gender Strategy of the program;
- Develop strategy for SCPP’s for measuring carbon emission as well as carbon stock in cocoa supply chain activities, which feed into the program implementation and monitoring plan;
- Develop and ensure dissemination of related information in the modules and training material to the program implementation team with purpose to ensure consistent approaches and tools are utilized across all SCPP areas;
- Provide trainings or other capacity building activities in order to improve technical capacity of program implementation team in topics related to balanced GHG emission, climate-smart agriculture and carbon sequestration for better cocoa yielding;
- Advise on best practices methodology for trainings at farmer’s level to improve the program implementation in relevant topics;
B. Lessons Learned and Best Practices
- Collect and analyze information related to Landscape and Lifescape to provide values in the program area and its challenges which will be taken into the analysis as an important document in the planning- implementing-evaluating process.
- In collaboration with Monitoring and Result Measurement Team, periodically undertake research to develop learning and lessons learnt publications such as articles, brief, case studies, success stories, manuals, etc.;
- In collaboration with PR and Media Team, develop content for communication materials related to best practices in environment ;
- Contribute to the preparation of presentations, speeches and papers, etc.
C. Knowledge Sharing
- Support the program implementation team to ensure program’s intervention in environmental assessment are well planned, monitored and evaluated with purpose to align SCPP practice with the state of the art in the topics;
- Participate and contribute in workshops and conferences on the cocoa agricultural sector related to the evaluation of environment best practice for cocoa agriculture Green house gasses dissemination and carbon stock as efforts for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge sharing.
D. Project Management
- Prepare concept documents and review term of references and reports;
- Perform other duties assigned by line manager and Program Director.
Communication, supervision, and Reporting:
- Report to Sr. Research Content Manager;
- Support Sr. Program Manager, Regional Program Managers, and Program Officers to ensure GEP project’s planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and completion are in line with state of the art practices;
- Coordinate with the PR and Media Manager to ensure accurate and up-to-date related information is available for Program implementation purposes such as Training Manual, public presentations, case studies, articles and other publication materials;
- Coordinate with Government Relation Officer to ensure data source required from government agencies are obtained and prepared for Program needs.
This job description can be adjusted according to the development and new requirements of the project upon agreement of both parties.
Duties applicable to all staff
- Actively work towards the achievement of the Program’s goals.
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Swisscontact’s code of conduct.
- Perform any other work related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager.
Master degree in environmental studies, forestry, agriculture, biologycommunity developmentor related subject from an accredited academic institution
- At least 10 years or more of professional work experience in environment, agriculture, forestry and community development or gender
- Experience in cocoa/other cash crop sector;
- Familiar with social and environment issues in Indonesia.
- Experience in working with international NGO program/project implementation;
- Experience in working and/or liaising with the communities and various partners, and institutions;
- Experience in research or manual development (preferably proof of some peer reviewed published work);
- Experience working with National and Local Government & Agencies, Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Environment and Forestry, Ministry of Women Empowerment and Child Protection;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and demonstrated ability to effectively interact and collaborate with people/stakeholders;
- Effective time management: personal organization, planning and priority setting. Excellent at taking initiatives, focused and result oriented;
- Strong attention to detail and to maintaining a high quality standard;
- Demonstrated flexibility and capable of managing a variety of tasks with minimal supervision;
- Experience in designing and facilitating meetings and workshops
Other Specific Requirements
- Strong proficiency in use of Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent spoken and written Bahasa Indonesia and English
- Flexibility and willingness to travel
Please submit your application letter addressing the above qualifications and experience with your curriculum vitae on April 19th,2015 at the latest to:
Swisscontact, Human Resources Unit, The Vida Building, 5th floor, Jl. Raya Perjuangan No. 8, Kebon Jeruk – Jakarta Barat 11530 , Tél. +62 21 2951 0200
Only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interviews.