East Kalimantan Program Officer
Job title : East Kalimantan Program Officer
Location : Samarinda, East Kalimantan, Indonesia
Salary : Competitive
Start date : 1st January 2016
End date : 31st December 2016 (with possibility of extension)
The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) seeks to hire an East Kalimantan Program Officer to support their collaborative green growth program with the Government of Indonesia (GoI).
GGGI is an international organization founded in June 2010. GGGI is dedicated to pioneering and diffusing a new model of economic growth, known as “green growth”. This simultaneously targets key aspects of economic performance, such as poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion and those of environmental sustainability, such as mitigation of climate change and security of access to clean water. GGGI’s approach is particularly suited to developing countries because it starts from broad-based progress in living standards and growth. Since 2013, GGGI has worked in close collaboration with the Government of Indonesia in the GoI-GGGI Green Growth Program (GGP).
The Indonesia program is offering a position within a varied and dynamic team, who will play an integral role in supporting both GGGI’s sub-national work in East Kalimantan. The post holder will support numerous activities under a variety of outputs working with both the provincial government and the district government of Mahakam Ulu.
The East Kalimantan program officer will play a central role within the GGGI Indonesia team by carrying out a range of management, administrative and content roles from GGGI’s office in Samarinda, hosted by the Regional Development Planning Agency (Bappeda). Reporting directly to GGGI’s East Kalimantan Representative, he/she will ensure effective operations of all activities within the East Kalimantan Green Growth Program at the both the provincial and district levels. Further details of these responsibilities are defined below.
1. Monitor and report on all East Kalimantan government planning processes (e.g. development and spatial planning and budgeting) that are relevant to GGGI’s activities in the province, including in GGGI’s pilot district (Makaham Ulu)
2. Write short English summaries of key East Kalimantan policies, plans and projects that are relevant to GGGI’s activities, for example a sectoral plan or a Special Economic Zone
3. Gather information from relevant government counterparts related to GGGI’s activities in East Kalimantan, for example on renewable energy or land use projects
4. Monitor the progress of green growth activities in East Kalimantan that have been initiated based on GGGI’s advice and technical support
5. Support the GGGI East Kalimantan Representative to establish and manage relationships with all key stakeholders in the province, including government counterparts, civil society and private sector representatives.
6. Develop and manage a stakeholder database for East Kalimantan, which will include contact details, minutes of meetings, summaries of organizations’ activities in East Kalimantan and opportunities for further engagement
7. Travel to GGGI’s pilot district(s) and support engagement with the district government, when necessary
8. Coordinate and organize capacity building workshops and focus group discussions (FGDs) with relevant government counterparts in East Kalimantan, including preparation of budgets, terms of reference (ToR), invitations and agendas
9. Manage the petty cash budget for GGGI’s activities in East Kalimantan related to workshop expenses, including participants’ per diems, travel and accommodation costs, and the operations of the GGGI East Kalimantan secretariat’s operations
10. Translate key program documents (e.g. letters, reports) between English and Indonesian
11. Support the GGGI East Kalimantan Representative to develop regular newsletters or communication material related GGGI activities in the province for both internal and external communication
As a member of a small but diverse program team, the East Kalimantan program officer will have multiple responsibilities and will need to be flexible and responsive to sometimes rapidly changing needs and tight deadlines.
· Undergraduate degree in a green growth related field, e.g. economics, environmental policy, natural resource management, forestry etc
· At least three years experience of working on environmental or development programs related to key green growth sectors, e.g. forestry, plantations, mining or energy
· Experience of working directly with the East Kalimantan government and a strong network in the province would be beneficial
· Good verbal and written communications skills in both English and Indonesian
· Experience of arranging events and managing small petty cash budgets
· Ability to work independently and proactively with minimal supervision
The successful candidate will have prior experience supporting multiple cultural team, work well under pressure and have a flexible approach to working. This is a great opportunity to be a key part of GGGI’s global team during this formative phase and beyond.
To submit your application please send your CV with a brief cover letter to: email@example.com by 10th November 2015.