World Food Programme, Indonesia invites applications from eligible candidates for the following position:
Position : Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping (VAM) Officer - GIS
Post Grade : SC9
Starting Date : 1 Jan 2016
Duration : Initial 6 months with possibility for extension
Contract Type : Service Contract
Duty Station : Jakarta
Duties and Responsibilities: Under the overall guidance of the Head of Programme and direct supervision of the Head of the VAM Unit, the incumbent will undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Collect and manage data required for food security and climate change vulnerability analysis jointly with government agencies and other related partners in order to prepare regular monitoring and early warning publications.
2. Lead the development of VAM mapping projects at all stages, from conceptual development, to acquisitions and processing of data, analysis and final product development in line with innovative methodologies and best practice.
3. Manage data and information, including spatial data for WFP Indonesia in line with corporate standards and provide technical support to partners in government on spatial data management as required.
4. Support the development of food security and vulnerability analysis and the preparation of timely reports on food assessment needs in line with wider VAM policies, processes and guidance to enable effective decision-making on the development of strategies, policies and programmes.
5. Develop capacity among government counterparts on general GIS skills, climate change vulnerability and risk analysis
6. Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet information needs such as: base geographic maps, transport, hydrography, logistics, infrastructure and transportation facilities.
7. Participate and contribute to joint activities of information management working groups: including government, academia, other UN agencies, donors, and NGOs.
8. Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Experiences:
Education: University degree with emphasis in one or more of the following disciplines: GIS, agriculture, geography, remote sensing, meteorology, climatology, or a related field.
Experience: At least five years of postgraduate professional experience in GIS, vulnerability analysis or a closely related area, such as food security or early warning.
Knowledge: Training and/or experience utilizing GIS techniques and related software. General knowledge of climate change, food security, forestry, vulnerability and government policies. Demonstrated proficiency in the use of statistical tools and methods for food security analysis. Practical expertise in food security analysis and mapping. Demonstrated technical knowledge and understanding of WFP vulnerability mapping systems and assessment standards.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Bahasa Indonesia
Only candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to apply. Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply. Applications should be addressed by E-mail to: Jakarta.Vacancy@wfp.org no later than 27 November 2015
All applications must include an accurately filled in Personal History Form (P11) available at the following link http://www.unon.org/docs/P11.doc. Please state the vacancy announcement number and title of the post you are applying for in the email’s subject header line.
“Only short-listed candidates will be contacted”