VACANCY: Research Associate with J-PAL Southeast Asia
Note: The full job description and application instructions can be found at http://www.povertyactionlab.org/jobs/research-associate-j-pal-southeast-asia-101617
December 1, 2015
Less than one year
J-PAL Southeast Asia at UI
J-PAL Southeast Asia, based at the Institute for Economic and Social Research at the University of Indonesia (LPEM-FEUI) seeks qualified applicants for a Research Associate position to coordinate field research and piloting activities towards the aim of implementing a set of RCTs to prevent smoking initiation among school children in Central Java. The Principal Investigators for this project are: Dr. Margaret Triyana of Nanyang Technological University, Dr. Justin White of University of California, San Francisco, Dr. Nawi Ng of Umea University, and Dr. Baning Rahayujati of Gadjah Mada University.
The position offers an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on experience and to have significant responsibility in a vibrant organization undertaking cutting-edge development research. In collaboration with the respective PIs, the Research Associate will support the ongoing design, as well as the implementation of the project for which they are hired. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring activities are implemented with fidelity to the research design, as well as having close relationship with and between actors at various levels of the health and education sectors, academic research consultants, and the survey firms.
In addition to their respective PIs, a Jakarta-based Research Manager will guide and supervise the Research Associate in their various tasks. The Research Associate will be based in Jogjakarta.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
Strong Project Participation and Oversight:
- Propose and, as appropriate, implement innovations in the different stages of a project in coordination with PIs
- Maintain and grow effective relationships with partner organizations (e.g. survey firms)
- Oversee fieldwork and the implementation of the evaluation in accordance to the research design in association with partners
- Designing survey questionnaires, conducting qualitative research, running pilot exercise, refining study design and surveying instruments
- Supervise data collection and data-entry and ensure the good quality of the data at each of these two stages
- Ensure that project activities are on schedule and prepare project update reports according to agreements with funders and partners.
- Coordinate and lead field research activities
- Conduct background research to conjunction with field research activities
- Plan expenditures to fulfill project obligations within timelines set by funders; update as project design and/or local conditions evolve
- Work with the J-PAL SEA Finance and Research Managers to keep detailed accounts of all project activities, including monitoring expenses in the field and summarizing current expenditures and forecasting expected expenditures
Reporting and Communication:
- Facilitate, strengthen and maintain effective and efficient communication as the primary contact point with PIs
- Provide periodic updates on project activities to PIs and subject experts
- Participate in the planning and design of any outreach activities
- Assist with preparation of summary reports and dissemination materials
- A Bachelor's or Master’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, mathematics, statistics or related technical fields
- Minimum two years of prior work experience including managing multi-stakeholder initiatives in a collegiate or professional setting
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in Bahasa Indonesia and English
- Proven management and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Flexibility, self-motivation, and ability to effectively work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Work authorization in Indonesia (either by being an Indonesian national or otherwise)
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Familiarity with RCTs is strongly preferred
- Strong quantitative skills, including knowledge of Stata (strongly preferred) or other data analysis software
- Training in and a technical understanding of economics and econometrics
- Attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills (clear, precise, creative) for communicating policy lessons from academic papers in ways that policymakers understand
- Interest in pursuing a Master’s/Doctorate degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields preferred
Note on Work Authoriziations: You must have work authorization in Indonesia (either by being an Indonesian national or otherwise)
How to Apply
Please send an email to email@example.com following these instructions exactly:
- Use the following as the email subject line “101617” J-PAL SEA Research Associate.”
- Please do not include any other text in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application.
- Attach PDF copies of your CV, your academic transcripts, and a cover letter no longer than 500 words. The cover letter should discuss how you meet the aforementioned position requirements, emphasizing relevant skills and experience, as well as why you are interested in working with J-PAL SEA on RCTs and how this experience will contribute to fulfilling their future academic and professional plans.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interviews.