Chemonics International Inc.
Higher Education and Leadership Management Project (HELM)
Chemonics International Inc. seeks qualified Indonesian personnel for the USAID Higher Education Leadership and Management (HELM) project in Indonesia. Position is noted below the project background description.
The USAID/HELM project was awarded to Chemonics International on November 28,2011. Chemonics implements HELM with support from partners: the Indiana UniversityAlliance; JBS International Inc., Aguirre Division; and the University of Kentucky (UKY).The five year project was designed to support Indonesia’s Higher Education (HE) sector in increasing its quality and relevance through improved focus on administration and management capacity. In partnership with the Ministry of Education and Culture (MoEC)and the Directorate General of Higher Education (DIKTI), HELM provides technicalassistance, training, and additional support to strengthen the leadership capacity andincrease effectiveness in the following four core management areas:
1. General administration and leadership
2. Financial management
3. Quality assurance
4. Collaboration with external stakeholders
HELM works in close collaboration with DIKTI and, by Year 3, partners with 50Indonesian Higher Education Institutions (HEI). The project is designed to address theUSAID Education sub-intermediate result, “increased management capacity of IndonesianHigher Education Institutions” which contributes to the intermediate result “improvedquality of higher education” under the over-arching assistance objective: “students betterprepared for success in learning and work.”
TITLE: Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The M&E Specialist will be responsible for planning, performing and ensuring proper implementation of monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of the HELM project and its activities. Such monitoring and evaluation will include formation and updating of the project and annual monitoring and evaluation plans, monitoring and evaluating progress toward planned milestones, achievements and expected results, and reporting on such progress. S/he will work with technical staff to ensure timely and consistent data collection and develop databases and spreadsheets to ensure data is readily available. S/he will perform data analyses and/or create graphics to inform reporting requirements and project communications products. S/he will also plan for and supervise intermittent impact assessments, collect and disseminate lessons learned, and share successes during project implementation. The M&E Specialist has the authority and the obligation to question and refer to the Chief of Party (COP) any activity that does not appear to be in accordance with Chemonics, project or USAID policy, guidelines or standards.
- Support the field team in refining the project’s results framework and participate in work planning sessions.
- Support the development of the project’s PMP by helping to select indicators and complete indicator reference sheets.
- Hold a briefing session with project staff to ensure the PMP meets their requirements and the rationale for each indicator is clearly understood by all staff and stakeholders.
- Design and share databases for monitoring activity information and analysis reporting as well as formats for reporting information.
- Organize the collection of baseline data and the setting of targets, where possible. In cases where baselines and targets are not yet possible, describe “next steps” the field team must take to identify them. Collect baselines for contextual indicators.
- Ensure data quality and integrity by periodically conducting field visits and spot checks to verify data and investigate any data anomalies.
- Identify and track any sources of information, outside of the approved PMP, that can and should be integrated into the M&E system to help better manage project implementation (e.g. any work that may generate data or information that could be incorporated into the system).
- Conduct periodic training in M&E procedures for project staff, stakeholders, and/or partners. Share information to help them monitor the progress of their work and use the data for strategic decision-making.
- Maintain the M&E system, periodically evaluate its effectiveness, and adjust as necessary to provide the project with accurate and useful data.
- Contribute to the development annual work plans and review the relevance of the PMP against these work plans.
- Compile and analyze relevant data to demonstrate project progress for contractual reports, including quarterly and annual reports and/or presentations.
- Respond to requests for as-requested M&E data in a timely manner.
- Systematically and regularly communicate progress against targets to project staff.
14. Collect and disseminate lessons learned and best practices to internal and external stakeholders, as appropriate.
Supervision and Reporting
Duration of Assignment
- B.A./B.S. relevant field required
- Minimum five years’ experience developing and implementing M&E systems in a development context.
- Experience in developing M&E systems for education development projects preferred but not required.
- Experience with M&E/PMP systems for similar international implementers or organizations required
- Highly experienced in managing a results based approach program.
- Strong demonstration of analytical skills.
- Strong computer skills in Word, Excel, Access, and other programs required.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and prioritize effectively, to convey results to non-technical stakeholders, and to generate interest in the use of M&E results and help staff to make programmatic improvements desired.
- Strong attention to detail, organizational and prioritization skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team.
- Fluency in written and spoken Bahasa Indonesian and proficiency in written and spoken English required.
Application submission instructions:
Interested applicants for this position are requested to send a cover letter and resume firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 27 March 2015. Please indicate the position in the subject line. Only the strongest candidates will be contacted. No telephone inquiries.