WRI is an action-oriented global organization that was recently voted the world’s #1 environmental think tank and is consistently recommended by staff as one of the most desired organizations to work for. WRI has over 30 years of experience focusing on the intersection of the environment and socio-economic development. We go beyond research to turn ideas into action: Our mission is to move human society to live in ways that protects Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. We have offices in the US, China, India, Brazil, Indonesia, and Europe, and active projects in more than 50 countries. WRI’s focus areas are Climate Change, Energy, Food, Forests, Water, Cities & Transport, Business, Finance, and Governance.
The World Resources Institute (WRI)’s Climate Program is seeking a Land-Use Emissions Consultant to conduct analysis on GHG emissions from land use in Indonesia under the Open Climate Network (OCN). OCN brings together independent research institutes and civil society groups from key countries to track and report on their countries’ progress toward addressing climate change.
OCN is currently seeking to address information and analysis needs related to the formulation of post-2020 greenhouse gas (GHG) mitigation pledges or intended nationally determined contributions (INDCs) in major economies, including Indonesia. INDCs are expected to be put forth in 2015 by most major economies and finalized at the end of 2015 as part of a global agreement under the Under Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
As part of its work on INDCs, WRI seeks to develop analysis on historic and future emissions from Indonesia’s land-use sector under a range of scenarios. WRI seeks a land-use emissions expert, based in Indonesia, to conduct this analysis based on literature review, geospatial analysis, and statistical modelling. This analysis is expected to serve as an input for consideration by the Indonesia during the development of its INDC.
Conduct land-use emissions analysis based on literature review, geospatial analysis, and statistical modelling.
The analyst will work with the WRI Indonesia team based in Jakarta and WRI’s Climate Program staff based in Washington, DC.
· Conduct independent assessment of historic GHG emissions 2000-2012 in Indonesia’s land-use sector
· Use land-cover data to identify sectoral drivers of land-use emissions (such as mining, agriculture, timber plantations, and urbanization)
· Project future baseline emissions to 2030 using a robust methodology identified on the basis of literature review and modified based on assumptions about future changes
· Draft and revise content for a WRI publication based on the analysis
· Collaborate with WRI colleagues to identify priorities for future analysis
· Knowledge of national and international climate and land-use policy
· Strong analytical background (e.g., familiarity with GHG projections, expertise in forestry or energy sector, policy formulation, or other related work)
· Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, geography, or related discipline, master’s degree preferred
· Excellent geospatial analysis skills, in particular raster-based analysis. Experience with ArcGIS or equivalent required.
· Extensive knowledge of the literature regarding deforestation tracking and GHG emissions estimation from the land use sector in Indonesia
· Strong quantitative and statistical background, including familiarity with common statistical software
· Ability to communicate in English (oral and written)
· Ability to understand, read and write Bahasa Indonesia fluently; native speaker preferred
· Flexible schedule and availability through August, 2015
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia. Candidate must be legally able to work in Indonesia.
Salary: Consultant will be paid a monthly rate commensurate with experience.
Contract Period: Starting date: as soon as possible; End date: August 2015. Contract may be extended depending on program needs and consultant performance.
How to Apply and more information about WRI
Qualified applicants should apply online at www.wri.org/careers. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.