Save the Children is an international NGO and the world’s top independent charity for children in need. Since 1919, we have been fighting for children’s rights, saving their lives and providing hope for brighter futures worldwide. In Indonesia, Save the Children currently works in eleven provinces, has staff of approximately 180 local professionals, and programming in Child Protection, Education, Health and Nutrition, Disaster Risk Reduction, and Humanitarian Response. Save the Children in Indonesia is seeking to fill the following position:
Job Title : COMMUNICATION COORDINATOR
Communication & Advocacy Department
1 position, based in Jakarta
To inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and in line with our theory of change, Save the Children aims to be a credible and powerful voice for children; because of this and in support of the marketing/fundraising elements of our strategy, we know that communication and media outreach is critical to Save the Children success.
The Communications Coordinator will work with the Communications and Advocacy Manager on the communication work of the Indonesia Country Office and will support programs to develop and deliver communication strategies and quality communication products.
He/she will support enabling programs to generate and make effective use of communication and media – both in-country and globally– to help raise awareness of Save the Children’s work, shape attitudes, influence decision-makers and help to inspire people to get involved in our cause – helping children in need in Indonesia.
The Communication Coordinator will implement communication strategies that are ambitious and creative and coordinate the delivery of these strategies in a collaborative manner.
The post holder will work alongside program teams to organize events, identify and generate story opportunities, s/he will react to major breaking stories, write newsworthy press materials (press releases, case studies, media briefings), s/he will also push out press messages on key social media networks, such as twitter and Facebook.
Reports to: Communication & Advocacy Manager
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:Communications Indonesia Country Office
- To manage all the communications and logistics elements of events organised by the Indonesia Country office, in regards with the global campaign work, donor visits, employee engagement activities, PR related events and others as required.
write and edit case studies, success stories and work with graphic
designers and videographers to promote the successes and activities of
the programs within the Indonesia country office through the quarterly
newsletter, Xtranet pages, Save the Children
microsites, brochures/marketing materials and other SCI newsletters.
EVERY ONE campaign
- To coordinate in the Indonesia country office the communication and campaign components of the EVERYONE global moments, including the development of country-specific content (media, communications, multimedia and social media) to support and maximise the impact of the global moments in the country.
- To develop and implement social media strategy within the campaign to maximise the campaign’s online presence
- To represent the Indonesia Country Office in national networking/coalitions meetings
Communication and media work in emergencies
- If requested, to be deployed as an information and communications officer
- To support deliver quality communication and media work in emergencies, based on Save the Children guidelines on communication in emergencies
- Timely dissemination of media products to key media contacts in an emergency
Communication support to programs
- To support programs in developing their communications and media capacity, including standard communications deliverables, media products, spokespeople and social media
- To coordinate and facilitate journalists’ visits to Save the Children programmes
- To lead in the production of communications and media products for significant events and dates, cutting across all sectors
Networking and partnership
- To develop and maintain partnerships with media in the country
- To support the communication side of engagement with corporates based in Jakarta.
- To represent the Indonesia Country office in national networking/coalitions meetings when required
Emergency Response Management:
Be part of project activities, financial and budget management when there is a need to respond to any potential emergencies at all areas
Additional job responsibilities
The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- Degree or equivalent in communications, public relations or related areas.
- At least 3 years experience in communications, media, event management or public relations in a non profit organization or private sector
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Bahasa Indonesia
- Ability to work fast, effectively and independently in often high pressure environments, working across a number of teams to deliver high communications output.
- Sound grasp of different communication tools.
- Demonstrable ability to meet deadlines and make decisions on what to prioritise when working under pressure on a number of projects.
- Good understanding of the use of media to undertake campaigns and advocacy work.
- Sound understanding of the major economic, social development and poverty issues as well as child rights issues in Indonesia.
- Experience in working in multicultural environment,
- Innovative and creative approach to problem solving.
- Commitment to Save the Children values.
- Experience of, and willingness to travel in the country, sometimes at short notice and for extended periods of time
- Photography, audio and film skills
- Experience in engaging the public in campaigns
- Experience in working in multicultural environment
Updated CV and application letter should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please fill the “subject” column of the e-mails in this format:
Closing date for application is up to 19 October 2014
(Only short-listed candidates will be notified)