About our organization
The World Agroforestry Centre (also known as the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry or ICRAF) is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health.
The Centre’s headquarters are located in Nairobi, Kenya, and research is conducted in 34 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and receive funding from over 50 different donors.
To learn more about our organization, please visit our website: www.worldagroforestry.org
About the position
Under guidance and supervision of the Finance Manager, the Accountant will have the main job to implement and manage the accounting system in compliance with ICRAF requirement. S/He is responsible for preparing and/or reviewing general ledger transactions to insure accuracy of ICRAF’s SEARO financial reports. S/He performs a variety of routine and non-routine accounting-related tasks, verifies accuracy and coding for journal entry transactions and compares against source documents to ensure compliance with established accounting procedures.
The successful candidate will be expected to perform the following tasks:
1. To verify payment request document from treasury in SEA Regional Office to ensure accuracy and coding for journal entry transactions.
2. To analyze monthly PIRS and reconciliation from Country Office
· On time review, vouching and enter/import journal for PIR into SUN systems and reconciliations of Cash, Bank, Advances
· POWB champion and update, Monthly PIR fund computation, and PIR fund request to HQ
· Staff Allocation NRS Country Staff
- To prepare monthly reconciliation reports
3. To analyze balance sheet account (e.g. banks IDR and USD, Time Deposit/Buffer Fund replenishment, accruals, NRS Advances) to ensure all monthly and yearly closing are done accurately. Ensure all closing steps such as:
· To carry out aging schedule
· To follow up settlement with staff
· To recognize exchange gain/loss due to currency differences
· To prepare settlement journals
· To prepare monthly reconciliation reports
4. To determine monthly exchange rate in SUN system (collection exchange information: trend, actual historical record, compared with web-based information, update the country economic issues, analyze the information, present information and make recommendation for approval by Finance Leader/Management Service Leader)
5. Staff orientation and policy refreshment/awareness (presentation to staff) – provide information to staff for finance structure, task and procedures e.g. payment, procedures e.g. payment, procedure transfer
6. Finance filling and facilitate Audits (external, internal and project audits) – well finance filling for easy track to facilitate auditor’s sampling, to provide data and information to respond to auditor’s questions
7. To facilitate budget preparation on budget for POWB
8. To improve efficiency of financial operation (e.g. improve financial policies and procedures)
For a detailed Job Description please visit http://worldagroforestry.org/about_us/careers
§ Registered Accountant with minimum education Bachelor degree (S-1) in Accounting.
§ Minimum of 5 (five) years of relevant Accounting experience is required at the national or international level, preferably in not-for-profit organization, in accounting supervisory position and grant management.
§ Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and experience in using SUN systems is desirable.
§ Experience in project management.
§ Good project management and organizational skills
§ Good financial accounting skills
§ Good written and verbal English proficiency
§ Good analytical skills
§ Good contract interpretation skills
Terms of offer
The World Agroforestry Centre is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment. We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified women. This is a national position and will be for an initial period of one (1) year, renewable subject to 3 (three) months probation period, assessment of performance, continued relevance of the position and availability of resources.
How to apply
Applications for the position must include:
- A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position against the listed requirements and salary expectations
- Detail curriculum vitae, including names and addresses of three referees, including telephone, fax numbers and email addresses.
All correspondence should be addressed to the Human Resources Unit, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) Southeast Asia Regional Office via email: email@example.com and should indicate “Application for Accountant” on their application letters and email submissions.
Applications will be considered until November 7, 2014 or until a suitable candidate is identified and selected. Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.