Indonesia’s agriculture sector poses a number of unique opportunities to positively impact livelihoods and quality of life in the country, particularly for smallholder farmers whose lives are so linked to the land. Given such large household numbers within the sector, rice farmers maintain a significant role in agricultural development in Indonesia. However, despite their large share of revenue-generation for the country, rice farmer households often reside in sub-standard living conditions and farmer household income remains low.
Mercy Corps sees an opportunity to increase Indonesian farming families’ incomes and improve their lives. Through targeted and well planned programs, Mercy Corps is working to impact farm household incomes by increasing their access to agricultural inputs including improved seeds, fertilizers, financial services, and modern tools and equipment.
In this context, Mercy Corps invites John Deere Foundation to partner with us on the proposed program, Promoting Organizations that Work to Empower Rice Farmers (POWER), to assist rice Farmer Groups and rice Farmer Group Unions to improve the lives of smallholder rice farmers and empower communities with fundamental ties to the land on which they live and work
Banyuwangi, Subang & NTB
(Please mention your preferred location in the email subject)
1. District Coordinator – POWER
The District Coordinator - will be responsible for carrying out the tasks needed for the implementation for the project under the guidance of the Program Manager. Duties will include carrying out assessments and survey, farmer mobilization and engagement, training lead farmers, providing guidance in business start-up and trouble shooting, and ensuring transparent information regarding the community, including timely reporting on issues that may impact the project. S/he will be POWER coordinator right hand in Banyuwangi/Subang/NTB, and an indispensable component of the project’s success, so willingness to learn, motivation, innovation, flexibility and commitment to the community and the project is a must. S/he will be responsible for updating his/her weekly and monthly work plans and carry his/her work with a sense of urgency.
- University degree in economic or related fields;
- 3-4+ years of field-based community development experience, preferably with a focus on economic development and poverty reduction;
- Experience in farmer mobilization, conducting economic research, assessments and surveys;
- Experience in providing trainings to farmers in good agriculture and post-harvest practices ;
- Experience with wide range of partners including government and private sector preferred;
- Moderate English. Native of Bahasa Indonesia and local Language is a must.
2. Program Assistant – POWER
Under the supervision of Program Manager, the Program Assistant will collect, organize and manage all program activities documentation, workshops support, meeting minutes, program updates and administrative tasks of Power program.
[Describe overview of job mission]
- 1-2 years of working experience is advantage;
- Fresh graduate is also welcome to apply;
- Programmatic/communication skill, document/report writing, able to communicate in English, oral and written;.
- S/he should have pleasant personality, organized, efficient, proactive and flexible;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and other computer program is a must.
Please send your CV with position applied on the email subject to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Vacancy will be closed 17 May 2015 and only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
We look forward to hearing from those who are interested in taking this opportunity to grow and develop with us.