The Indonesia Urban Water Sanitation and Hygiene (IUWASH) project is a sixty-month program (2011 – 2016) funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and implemented under the leadership of DAI. IUWASH works with government, the private sector, NGOs, community groups and other stakeholders to improve access to safe water supply and sanitation in Indonesia’s urban areas. The overall goal of IUWASH is to assist the Government of Indonesia (GOI) in making significant progress in achieving its safe water and sanitation Millennium Development Goal (MDG) targets by expanding access to these services.
To achieve the above, assistance provided by the project is divided under three main technical components, including:
- Mobilizing demand for WatSan service delivery;
- Improving and expanding capacity for WatSan service delivery; and
- Strengthening policy and the financial enabling environment for improved water supply and sanitation service delivery.
IUWASH will apply different approaches and interventions with its local partners, such as local Water utilities, local and national government institutions, NGOs and communities to address water, sanitation and hygiene. To achieve these objectives IUWASH need high caliber incumbent to fill the positions of
Name of Position: TECHNICAL CONSTRUCTION CONSULTANT
Job Code: TCC-WJDB
Type of Employment: Short Term Technical Assistance (STTA)
Total Level of Effort/Period: 8 months
Location: Jakarta, with regular travel to Tangerang
The purpose of this technical assistance is to:
· Develop specific basic construction training module for contractors consisting of household survey, simple design, BoQ, and construction process (for septic tanks, closet and piping) and quality assurance (QA),
· Module testing by conducting a series of trainings for the contractors, and
· Support the contractors during construction management, including logistic arrangement, labor arrangement and construction projection. All of the works must be conducted in collaboration with KPP UMKM Syariah in 17 target areas in Kab. Tangerang.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The activities to be performed by the Technical Sanitation Advisor shall include, but not limited to, the following tasks:
· Conduct preliminary discussions with IUWASH team, KPP UMKM Syariah and contractors to develop plan and coordination system
· Conduct meetings at regional and local level to identify the sanitation target demand and to collect information on the existing modules
· Collect data from relevant partner organizations (KPP and Water.Org) on numbers of potential customer and target areas
· Develop training modules that will include:
o Construction process of septic tank, closet and piping and bath room
o Administration and bookkeeping
o Operational management (logistic arrangement, labor arrangement, storage/inventory, etc.)
o Business planning including business projection
· Conduct training for a minimum of 3 to 4 selected contractors using the module, the training will serve as a try out on the effectiveness of the module in addition to the capacity building for the four pilot contractors to be able to run as a sanitation service providers
· Revise and finalize module based on the result of the try out
· Undertake regular technical supervision in the targeted areas
· Support contractors in selected potential market and working areas plus development of multi-years construction schedule and target
· Develop and conduct quality assurance for the work of each contractor
· Conduct regular meeting with IUWASH, KPP UMKM and contractors to obtain inputs and to share results of the each activity
· Promoting the use and maintenance of new sanitation facilities constructed and the need of regular desludging to each household after construction finished
· Coordinate with IUWASH WJDB BCC/STBM Specialist on the work plan, activities and field visit to Kab. Tangerang to partners (local government, Water.Org, KPP UMKM Syariah, etc.)
· Coordinate with sanitation engineer specialist on the sanitation construction activity and quality assurance form development
· Work closely with city coordinator on regular field activities
· Periodically undertake special development projects, e.g., reporting of technical and successes and/or lessons learnt. These deliverables may take the form of media presentations, press releases, professional articles or contributions to project newsletter, conferences or workshops
· Provide monthly reports to IUWASH WJDB BCC/STBM Specialist
1. Ready to use module on construction process and sanitation business management
2. Monthly Activity Report including sanitation access and Quality Assurance (QA)
3. Inputs in the IUWASH WJDB quarterly report where requested
4. If needed, provide information for IUWASH reports on sanitation sector development
5. When requested, provide article highlighting IUWASH achievements in private sector participation issues on urban sludge management.
Posting & Reporting Relationships
The STTA will be based in Jakarta with regular travel to Kab. Tangerang. He/She will report directly to the WJDB BCC/STBM Specialist (primary supervisor) in Jakarta and WJDB Regional Coordinator and will work closely with City Coordinator. He/She will work in close collaboration with KPP UMKM Syariah and Water.Org. All costs (local transport) for official travel as well as all cost related to production of reports will be financed directly by IUWASH in accordance to standard IUWASH regulations and rates, which included prior approval and evidence of all expenses made. He/She will also receive technical direction from WJDB sanitation engineer and UWASH national team/consultant.
· A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as environmental engineer or civil engineer
· At least 3- 5 years of experience in the sanitation program and capacity building program
· Familiar with water, sanitation and hygiene programs in Indonesia;
· Possess experience working for/or with local organizations and community groups;
· Has experience in conducting and facilitating trainings plus organizing work;
· Ability to understand, speak, and write basic English;
· Having own motorcycle is preferable
· Flexibility to work on evenings and weekends on occasion, and to travel substantially within Indonesia.
Interested applicants are invited to send a complete application with 3 references toIUWASH_recruitment@dai.com by latest 10 (ten) days of the advertisement. Please write the job CODE in the subject line of the email. We regret that we are unable to acknowledge receipt of all applications and only shortlisted candidates will be notified.